Formerly Legal Branch was incharge of Jt.Secretary (Legal) and formed
part of what was known as the Secretarial and Legal Deptt. under the control of
the Secretary of the Corporation. But due to up-gradation of the post Jt.Secretary (Legal) to that of Legal Advisor and separation of Legal Branch
from the Secretarial Branch, except for a few posts of Stenographers, Typist
etc. which continued to be common for both the branches. Legal Branch was incharge of Legal Advisor functioning as a Branch head under the direct control
of General Manager w.e.f. 2/4/1956. The post of Legal Advisor was further
upgraded and Legal Branch has been converted to Legal Department w.e.f.
27.9.2002 and is headed by General Manager (Legal).
The General Manager (Legal) who is in control of the Legal Deptt. is assisted
by Law Officers who are working at Divisional/Regional level and are
mainly engaged in contesting cases filed by delinquent employees before Labour
Court as well as Industrial Court. In addition to Law Officers,
Panel Advocates are also appointed for dealing with Court cases on behalf of Corporation.
SUBJECT DEALT WITH BY LEGAL DEPARTMENT
suits and appeals filed by or against the Corporation in Civil Courts, High
Courts and Supreme Court. All complaints and revisions filed by
delinquent employees before Labour and Industrial Courts.
2) Cases relating to acquisition or requisitioning of
land required by Corporation.
3) Interpretation, amendment etc. of various Acts
and Rules affecting day to-day working of the Corporation.
4) Claims for compensation from third parties for injuries or damages
suffered in accident involving ST vehicle or persons.
5) Claims preferred by Corporation on account
of damage to ST vehicles in accidents.
6) Complaints filed before District Consumer Forum by applicants claiming
compensation on account of deficiency of service and appeals.
7) Complaints filed before Human
Rights Commission by applicants.
8) Cases filed before Resident Dy.Collector for eviction of licensee and recovery of land.
9) Appointment of Panel Advocates and sanctioning of Professional Fees and legal
Settlement of claims arising out of accidents filed before
Motor Accident Claim Tribunal in Lok Nyayalaya.
Giving legal opinion on notes submitted by various
Departments including subjects Excise, Sales Tax, Octroi Duty, Permit, Tenders,
Contract, Agreement, Default cases, Recruitment etc.